You only possess one mind, but it has 2 totally different functions – and the names generally used to distinguish these 2 different functions are as follows.
There are many other terms used. But the 2 listed above, are the ones used most to represent the 2 main functions of your mind.
To help us better understand the conscious and subconscious mind, they may be compared to a tree and its roots…
• You’re conscious mind being the tree, which helps you with daily situations like, decision-making, rational thinking, or just simply figuring out what to do and how best to do it.
When we think of ‘me’ we think of our conscious mind, the mind of which we are fully aware. This part of the mind makes decisions for us and directs our activities; it also analyzes, criticises and even commands us.
• You’re subconscious mind being the roots; it deals mostly with the repetitions of learned behaviour. This can be very helpful for you, as it enables you to deal with situations much more easily the next time they arise.
Whatever we see, hear, smell, taste, touch or feel passes through the conscious mind and reaches the subconscious mind where it is stored.
Once you have learned how best to deal with the situation you find it much easier the next time around… this is because you are using information which is already stored.
For instance, once you have learned to ride a bike you don’t have to consciously think about it anymore. This is because the stored information will come to you automatically the next time you get on your bike to ride it.
Just as if you were to learn where each letter on your keyboard is – you can now type without looking because you have formed a mental picture in your subconscious mind, of what the keyboard actually looks like.
The above are only two instances (of how the subconscious mind stores up relations of learned behaviour) and we are sure you would be able to find many more examples of this in your everyday life!
Information from the conscious mind gets past into the subconscious mind, and there is a very strong link between the two. It is said that everything you have ever seen, heard and experienced is perceived by your conscious mind, and then stored away into your subconscious mind as a memory.
Not only is this memory stored as the incident itself, but also any feelings which went with it at the time are also stored.
Your subconscious mind does not only store your memories and feelings. It is the maker of all the great ideas you have ever had, and is also the seat of your intuition and creativeness…
Your subconscious also keeps you going without you even being aware of it. It takes care of your bodily functions – your heart beat, and automatically runs such activities as, movement, language, visual perception and a whole host of other processes of your mind and body for you.
It also scans your mind for conflict and distress; assesses your environment for danger and threats, and relays and interprets perceptions, sensations, and feeling… last but not least it is also the storehouse of all your experience and decisions – everything which makes you the person you are.
- Being Human-Consciousness (thementalshovel.com)
- What is the difference between the conscious and subconscious / unconscious mind? And why is working with the subconscious mind so effective? (neurowissenschaft.wordpress.com)
- Thought for the day- Think (thementalshovel.com)
- Ego as the Self-Programmed Subconscious Mind (chiefkevinblog.com)
- The effect of the subconscious (chiefkevinblog.com)
- Subconscious (socyberty.com)
- Chakras – Knowing the subconscious mind (ashameri.wordpress.com)
- Do People Have Free Will? (oracleofreason.com)
- Thought for this day…..Control The Monkeys (thementalshovel.com)
- Enhancing Creative Visualization With Meditation (towardstomorrow.net)